As dog owners ourselves, we understand the heartbreak that people feel when they lose a dog. If you have found a dog, we can help you find the owner and get him back to his home. Someone out there is missing him terribly!
Find a Dog’s Owner
- Search the Lost Dog database by city, state or zip code. See if a dog has been reported missing that matches the one you’ve found.
- Register the dog in the Found Dog listing. Let those looking for him know he’s been found.
- Try to make the dog comfortable, while keeping yourself safe. Set a blanket and water outside. Call your local pet store or vet to see if you should feed him.
- Scan the dog for a microchip (you can do this at your local vet).
- Call local animal control, the Humane Society, animal shelters, animal control, police and veterinary clinics to see if a dog has been reported missing. Use our zip code search to locate organization telephone numbers in your area.
- Create a found dog poster. Post copies in grocery stores, gas stations, drugstores and libraries, where traffic is high.
- Place classified ads in your local paper and on Craigslist.
- Contact your neighbors, family and friends in the area, and ask them to pass the information on.
- Never give up! Someone is looking for their pet – do all you can to reunite them!
When You Find the Owner
- Make sure they are the rightful owner. Ask to see a photo, other identification information or vet records with a photo of the dog you found.
- Edit or delete the profile you created on LostPetUSA.net. You can access the profile by using the link emailed to you when you filed a posting for the previously missing dog.
- Make sure you take down the flyers you posted in local businesses.
- Contact us with your success story or feedback on our services – encouraging those in a similar situation is important in helping them keep hope that they too will find their lost pet!